Wednesday 9 November 2011

Veterinarian by Day...Author Every Chance I Get!

It's true. I really am a veterinarian. I graduated from Michigan State University in 1993 and have been with the same group of veterinary hospitals ever since.  Of course I started out in my home state of Michigan and somehow ended up in usually sunny California.  How I got here is another story.  Today I thought I would give you a little bit more insight in the writer/dreamer Tammy.

As far back as I can remember, I have been writing.  At first it was just in my diary. Then as I got older I kept a journal and still do, but it's not always what I grab when the bug strikes.  I have little notebooks just about every where now, just like I had when I was younger.  My mother loves to remind me that I had an overactive imagination as a child, talking to all sorts of imaginary friends when I played in my room.  Little did she know, that was the beginning of my characters speaking to me.  I came up with elaborate tales to entertain myself then, and still do.  Now I get to share them with anyone who will take the time to listen.

When I look back through the many works in progress and the notebooks filled with ideas, I can pretty much say that I write contemporary fiction across several genres, but right now I am concentrating on erotic romance.  I have a few suspense and espionage stories rolling around in my storage bins, some more mainstream romances nearly completed, tons of poetry, and some sci-fi/fantasy/paranormal thrown in for good measure.  I hope to bring all of these out to revisit and hell, maybe submit them to a publisher or two for consideration.  Why not?  I've already crossed the first hurdle.  I can already call myself a published author!  Whoohoo!

I like the freedom writing gives to me.  I can invent whole new worlds, people, animals, and languages.  I can work through emotional baggage and come to conclusions that can surprise me still to this day.  People think that is funny.  As authors, we write the story and know what's going to happen, right?  Not hardly. Until that scene or chapter is done,  I don't always know what will happen.  Sometimes what I plotted out ends up not flowing well and I scrap it.  Don't you wish you could do that in real life?

Writing my poetry has helped me work through and express a lot of emotions running through me at any given time.  So much has happened in my life over the last few years and it's make for great material for my current Now and Forever series with Siren Bookstrand.

                                                         For The Love of Quinn on Siren

My personal tastes in reading materials is all over the place. I love to read just about anything by Stephen King.  That kind of horror writing is very enticing to me.  I get lost in the story and get scared at all the right points, and a few others that take me by surprise.  I think I like that adrenaline rush that hits me with those books.  My favorite was his Dark Towers series.  I enjoyed how he tied in several of his other titles in those story lines and even brought himself into the story.  Currently I am reading the third book in George R. R. Martin's series A Song of Ice and Fire.  Game of Thrones is the first in this series and so far, Mr. Martin has me turning the pages as fast as I can to find out what happens to everyone.

Nora Roberts is another favorite author of mine.  Her MacGregor Family Chronicles had me begging for more and gave me the inspiration to make Now and Forever a series that keeps most of the original characters so the reader can follow them all and watch them fall in love and find their happily ever afters.  Michael Shaarer and later his son Jeffrey grabbed my attention when their works depicting the battles during the Civil War.  Killer Angels was made into a fantastic movie called Gettysburg.  Watching that movie was like reading the book all over again.  John Jakes was my first introduction into these type of "historical fiction" books.  The entire American series starting with The Bastard followed an entire family through the generations and I learned a lot of my country's history reading those.  They were wonderful!  I may just have to reread those again.

My very first published novel, For the Love of Quinn, is available through Siren Bookstrand, Amazon, Barnes and Noble, and Mobipocket.com.  The print version will be released in January and I can hardly wait.  I love my Kindle, but there is something about holding that actual printed book in my hands that has my stomach all fluttery. Writing this book has been a labor of love and gut wrenching at the same time.  The heroine, Quinn, is a large part of me.  Well, she's at least a fantasy me.  Through her story, I was able to exorcise some demons and get through some very rough patches in my life.  Writing this series has been so cathartic.  I have learned a lot about myself and have finally found my happily ever after.

At this very moment, I am working on the second and third books in this series.  Book two is called My Love, My Friend and book three is called Burning Heart.  Readers will be introduced to more of Quinn's extended family and exactly who ends up with who just may surprise some people!
I"m also working on a menage fantasy series under another pen name, Lia Michaels.  The idea for this series came after I wrote the poem The Vixen, The Witch and The Daemon. Several characters came to life in my head after that poem was written.  Now to get them all on paper!

When I am not writing or saving the lives of my furry patients, I enjoy a lot of different crafts including knitting and crochet.  I would be content to spend an entire day in my kitchen cooking and baking when the mood strikes and around the holidays, it strikes often.  Of course my staff at the veterinary hospital gets to benefit from all of the leftovers, but not one of them is complaining!

Stop by and see me sometime!
Behind Closed Doors (main webpage/blog with the extra steamy stuff and my poetry)
Not Enough Time in the Day (adult blog with less steam, but all the passion)
Facebook Author Fan Page

No comments: